Pine Fresh Shenanigans: The Artpad Files

A collection of drawings made via Artpad usually about baseball, mostly Red Sox related, but sometimes is ventured outside of that realm.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Red Sox' Little Brother


Kevin Youkilis is the embodiment of the 2006 Boston Red Sox, in my opinion. At least the way the team seems to be breaking out of it's shell. He's the little brother whose finally coming into his own after wallowing in the shadows of his predessecors(Bill Mueller and Kevin Millar). He took the lessons learned from those guys(Billy on the way to play the game and Kevin on the clubhouse goodness) and is using those and his own style of play to become his own player and to prove that he does belong here with the team. Sure for a while, Kevin will probably hear the comparisons, but every sibling does, I should know I'm the youngest of 3 and I kept hearing comparisons to my brother and sister all through high school, but if he keeps doing what he's been doing lately, they'll soon just fade away. The 2006 Red Sox are a bit like that. They're the younger brother to the 2004 team, always hearing the comparisons and always hearing people say "why can't you be more like them?" but the thing is they're not nor they never will be, but it doesn't mean they wont be just as good. They've taken on the lessons and influences of that 04 team(like never giving up and the importance of a good camraderie) but they've added their own flair too. They just need a little time and a little luck and they could be just as good, IMO. Nobody ever expects much from the youngest sibling at first, just thinking they're just a knockoff of the older ones, but give them a little time and a chance, and they could suprise you.

And yes, half of this is kinda me angsting about living in my siblings shadows in high school(My sister is 2 years older than me and my brother is 1 year older than me....and we went to a small high school....) My bad :P